Sunday, April 16, 2017

Lessons on Teamwork from Miracle

For our topic of Many, Logan and I will research teamwork. I really couldn't be more excited about our topic because I think that it is universally important no matter what job you are in. I have been on teams my entire life, starting when I was four joining my town's youth hockey program. Since then, between 3 different sports, I have been on countless sports teams on different levels (youth, high school, college Division 1 and club). Every single one of these sports teams along with the other organized teams I have been on in my life has been extremely unique. When I think about a good example of a great team, I automatically think of the 1980 Olympic Hockey team. If you've ever seen the movie Miracle, this is the team I'm referring to. Admittedly I've seen this movie enough times to quote the entirety of it so I am not even sure where to start for those of you who have not seen it. It even features Ralph Cox, a UNH alumni that was cut from the team at the last minute.
Image result for ralph cox quote miracle 

The team is comprised of players from all of the most competitive colleges in the country, which means many of them are rivals. Their biggest issue in the first half of the movie is even being able to tolerate each other let alone actually work together. In the picture shown above, the players are gathered in a circle. Cox actually says this because he knows whatever school he says hes from hes going to make an enemy. Eventually they actually come together to be a family. The big turning point in the film is this scene : Miracle on Ice. When they are pushed to their breaking point, they finally come together for one common goal, to play for the USA instead of as individuals. While most team environments may not have a goal that is easy to rally around (like winning a gold medal for your country) what I took away from this team and this movie was that having a defined goal or purpose is essential for any team. People knowing why they are there and what they are working towards creates motivation and creates a common bond among team members. If you haven't seen this movie, I would very much recommend it as it shows the journey of one of the greatest teams the world has ever seen.

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen the movie. I was never much of a team sports guy. But if you've watched it that many times, I feel an obligation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly hockey was, and still is, an extremely important part of my life so I may be a little biased, but if you do, let me know what you think!

      Delete
  2. I was in a Leadership class in high school and my teacher also showed this movie. I had seen it a few times before, but I agree that there is a great lesson in the story about working as a team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The real life captain Mike Eruzione is from my hometown! I'm pretty sure he still lives in Winthrop, MA with his family. He coached our youth hockey team for a while. #hometown pride

    ReplyDelete