Monday, April 24, 2017

Beginnings and Endings

After reading Jess's reflective post about the end of the semester nearing us I found myself getting really nostalgic about what we have accomplished this semester. The first few weeks I think a lot of us were extremely apprehensive about being in a class with a structure that is unlike anything we have ever been exposed to. Being a thoroughly unstructured person, I had no real reservations about these changes. Reading what Professor Bonica had planned for us motivated me to want to jump in head first into everything that this class could offer me intellectually. I started off very early on this portfolio and have tried to maintain my pace since. The environment we created has facilitated the best learning environment I have ever truly experienced. The climate has changed exponentially since our first day in the epicenter of every Health Management & Policy major's world, Pettee 114. We have been vocal about what has worked and what hasn't. Every section our presentations have gotten better and better and I have seen everyone open up a little more each time. I have learned just as much from the presentations that we have prepared as I have from each one of my classmates. I have had the pleasure of getting to know each of my classmates, and Professor Bonica, to a point that I did not anticipate. Our discussions are extremely open and I have never worried about saying the wrong thing or being judged. They have kept me engaged in every single class and often made me reflect about our material outside of class. They have made me reflect on my strengths and weaknesses, my tendencies, my character, and my core values. This class has not only benefited me intellectually but it has pushed me to grow as a person. I really value the connections that I have made with each and every one of you and how much we have accomplished and grown. In the business world I have heard the saying many times: "its not what you know, its who you know." While I do think what you know and who you are are still important, I know that I have connected to some pretty great people who will be great professionals in a few years. I know that our futures hold bright things for each of us.
As this class nears its end, we will also have some important beginnings. This summer we will have the opportunity to examine the material we have discussed in a real professional setting. I only wish that I had an opportunity to take a class like this after having real professional experience. Lastly, I would like to thank Professor Bonica for his radical ideas and for allowing me to have this experience. This class would truly not be possible without you and I have learned so much from you this semester. I know I will use the knowledge this class has given me far beyond May of 2018. I look forward to giving my third and final presentation and the feeling of accomplishment that I will have when we turn in our finished primer.

3 comments:

  1. You've done a great job this semester, Shayna. Really taken a leadership role by setting the example.

    This course is as good as it is because of the work all of you have put into it. Now I hope you collectively leave something amazing behind for next year's class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This class really has been great. Not only because we all are learning so much in such an unconventional way, but also because of the positive and supportive environment we've create for each other. It's been great being in class with you, for sure! :^)

    ReplyDelete