Sunday, April 2, 2017

10 Steps to Effective Listening

Today I read an article from Forbes called 10 Steps to Effective Listening while doing research for my presentation. I think that listening is possibly one of the most important skills to have. Being an effective listener is essential for communication. There is also nothing that annoys me more than people who are terrible listeners. When working tonight, I asked someone a specific question. Because they likely didn't value our interaction and were clearly not listening, they answered another question that I didn't even ask them. One thing I really liked from this article was that it mentioned being present. This is something I strive to always be. I think that this is important in listening and just in day to day life. If you are too busy at work worrying about your issues at home, how can you be productive? The same goes for a conversation. If you are stuck in your own head thinking about something else you are not fully engaged in the conversation. It also mentions keeping an open mind. You can learn something from everything you meet. I remember in class someone saying "everyone is an expert in something". We all walk different paths and have different experiences and through listening to others we can gain new perspectives. I've really enjoyed my research so far and am excited to present to the class.

6 comments:

  1. The ability to be a good listener is probably one of the most important things I have come to learn in college. I used to be so quick to speak as soon as someone was talking and kind of "butt-in" to agree with them or say my opinion but I have learned to just sit back, and listen respectively and actively to what they are saying. Also love the meme haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! Being a good listener is so important in every setting. Love the seal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super important, especially for our generation who tends to be stuck in our electronics. I find myself tuning out of conversations because I'm too caught up in my phone, which I really need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the seal!

    Distractions come in all forms. There's a lot of discussion around "mindfulness" training now, and "presence" in the self-help industry - everybody is trying to get a meditation practice of some sort going. It's not my thing, but I get the importance of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening is key especially when you first start a job and have no clue what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute seal! I agree that listening is super important, especially when receiving instructions. People (including myself) hate answering questions about things they've already explained and having to repeat themselves.

    ReplyDelete