Thursday, February 2, 2017

Introduction to the Class and My 30 Day Challenge

This afternoon, I was chatting on the phone with my mentor (hi Katie!) discussing class and possible topics for the "One" portion of our early careerist primer. I had now realized I had not fully explained, in my blog or to Katie yet, what we will accomplish in this class.
In HMP722, our goal is to create an early careerist primer focused on organizational behavior and also keep up a portfolio in a form that is public (I chose this blog). The primer will consist of three sections: "One" focused on the individual, "Two" focused on the interpersonal, and "Many" focused on groups and organizations. We have been given a lot of free reign to decide what the topics of our primer encompass. Each of us has paired up with a classmate and we will each teach 3 classes focused on a topic from each of the three sections of the primer. Linking back to personality I think it is interesting that Logan and I will be presenting together being the only two P's (excluding Dr. Bonica) in the class. At the end of the semester, we will hopefully have a primer we can be proud to pass down to the future students that will enroll in this class.
Katie and I discussed many topics and it really got me thinking about what topic we should choose to present. After our conversation, I quickly remembered a video that Dr. Bonica had sent out about 30 Day Challenges. This interests me because I think it ties into goal setting at the most harmless level and also relates to forming habits. Putting this out in the public will also keep me accountable and will span around the same time as our "One" unit. So here is what I challenge myself to do for the next 30 Days:
1. Carry around a water bottle every single day and stay hydrated
This is something so simple but I am incredibly horrible at. I exercise at least 5 days a week and next week will be getting back into lacrosse practices. I often go to gym right from class because it is on the opposite side of campus from my apartment and find myself without a water bottle. I think its a very easy task but also an easy step to being healthier.
2. Instead of watching Netflix before bed, write something in a journal
I know this is a horrible habit but it somehow has often made its way into my routine. Last Winter I took up a journal as an outlet for a stressful situation and although I do not need it as an outlet anymore hopefully it will stop my continuous Netflix binge of Shameless.
For this challenge I will only start with two goals which will give me no excuse to not stick with it and be a good introduction to see if 30 days can form a habit. I hope this gives me a little insight into forming habits and goals.

3 comments:

  1. excellent! will you be posting about your 30 day challenges?

    You might google "Self Leadership". A couple of names in the field - Charles Manz, Chris Neck.

    Also The Power of Habit, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PGUYU/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the shout out- more food for thought on what we discussed Friday. http://trib.al/DOTpkXn
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely can agree with both of your goals. I always go to the gym after class (because it's so close!) and staying hydrated throughout the day is so important. I try my best to always carry a water bottle to class. I'm also hooked on Shameless and this semester I'm trying to read before bed instead of watching Netflix. It's been hard but I'm trying. I'm going to try your "30 day challenge" and make reading before bed more of a habit. Good luck with your goals!!

    ReplyDelete