Monday, February 20, 2017

Emotional Intelligence Pre-Work

Today in class we will be discussing emotional intelligence. We were given a quiz to take before class. Here are my results:


I tried to be extremely honest and objective when taking this quiz because I think this is a really cool and important topic. The only thing I was surprised about was that emotional self-awareness was not my highest scoring category. I did score highly but if you had asked me one of my strengths as far as emotional intelligence I would have thought this was my best strength. One statement that really threw me off was "I'm patient." I definitely didn't think that patience was linked to emotional intelligence and I had to be honest that this is one of my weaknesses. Blame it on my generation of wanting things "at the click of a button" or maybe its just me but this is something I know I struggle with. When I want something I go for it and I like seeing results.
Another score that stuck out to me was my highest score on empathy. I remember reading Colleen's post about empathy and how when she spoke to her mentor one really great piece of advice he gave her was that great leaders are empathetic. A video that she posted describes empathy as something that drives connections. If you haven't read her post or watched this video I would seriously recommend it. I think being a very social person and someone who really values having meaningful connections with others may be why I scored so high in this. I have always been very interested in psychology and why we are the way we are. I genuinely am curious about why others act the way that they do, how their experiences have shaped them, what motivates them, what stresses them out, what makes them happy. I find a lot of fulfillment in understanding and connecting with others. After watching the video and seeing the interaction between the deer, the fox, and the bear I thought that was a perfect visual representation. I think a lot of people will watch the deer and see why those actions aren't as favorable as the bears are yet not see that they themselves may often act like this. I think this has connected a lot with my initial research into personality as well. I wrote about a quote that said the way we construe others reveals just as much as us as it does about the other person. The video talked about one of the key ideas of empathy being judgement. A lot of times we can be quick to judge others, especially strangers, off a single experience or appearance. There are a lot of underlying factors for why we behave the way we do and getting to understand someone before we make assumptions about who they are is really important.
Overall I am happy with my results and really excited to see what Regan and Caroline have to present today.

1 comment:

  1. Once again we are twins (or nearly so) http://talentmanagementresearch.blogspot.com/2017/02/assignment-emotional-intelligence.html

    I love that video. It's interesting to note that the word sympathy used to mean what Brown is saying empathy means now. I wrote my dissertation on Adam Smith, who in addition to being the founder of modern economics, was a moral philosopher and his philosophy relied heavily on sympathy (what Brown calls empathy). In a nutshell, all of our moral judgments require some degree of sympathy according to Smith, and human beings are uniquely capable of this process. His book on this topic is called "The Theory of Moral Sentiments" - http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/theory-of-moral-sentiments-and-essays-on-philosophical-subjects Excellent book if you are prepared to do some work. Still very relevant.

    ReplyDelete