Thursday, March 2, 2017

Interviewing with Peers vs Strangers

Tomorrow afternoon I have an interview for a promotion at my job at UNH. This will be very different than the interviews I have been preparing for with HMP. Mostly because almost if not all of my interviewers will be my colleagues. One will be my direct boss, another someone who has the same position I hold, and two that hold the position that I am interviewing for. One of the two holding the position I am interviewing for coordinates the sports I mainly work and therefore we work together very closely. All of this makes me consider if I am at an advantage or a disadvantage as opposed to interviewing with a stranger. On one hand, my colleagues really have a sense of how strong of a work ethic I have and how dedicated I am to my organization. On the other hand, I don't have as much control over what they know about me. Interviews are an opportunity to put your best self forward. With a stranger, they only really know what you share with them and what they can find out about you from your colleagues or what you have put out into the world on the internet. Strangers may be intimidating to sit down with though, especially the executives we may be interviewed by. I will be extremely comfortable with my interviewers because I do know them personally. As an extrovert though, being with a stranger does not tend to negatively effect me. Three of these people are also my age and know me outside of a professional setting. While going in and giving a great interview will certainly help my chances, the people making the decision will already have almost all of the information they need to decide if I am right for this promotion. In recent years, there has been one person who is a neutral party who comes in for the interview to help make the decision. This is the person I feel I will have to win over the most.
Overall, I think there are certain aspects that are advantages and disadvantages to this situation. With a stranger, it is an advantage to be able to control what you do and do not share with them. But because I have worked really hard and shown my capabilities, I think I am at an advantage by having my colleagues making the decision. Either way I am going to prepare as best as I can and give my best interview regardless of who is interviewing me.

2 comments:

  1. I hope it went well!

    This is good experience. You will likely in your career have this come up more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know personally, I would feel more comfortable interviewing with a stranger, but I'm sure at some point in our professional careers we will all have to take part in an uncomfortable interview.

    ReplyDelete