Thursday, January 26, 2017

Personality Testing

Yesterday as part of our first assignment, I completed two personality tests. One was the 16 Personalities test and the other was The Big Five. I had taken the Big Five before and found similar results (I'm a O53-C74-E86-A90-N1 Big Five!!) I found these results to be pretty indicative of what I would expect. The only one I disagreed with was the first category. I feel I often seek out new experience and consider myself someone who is willing to go outside of their comfort zone. I am not super artistic in the traditional sense so I feel that my answers to those questions may have contributed to why I was given that score. The other categories told me that I am well organized, reliable, social, outgoing, good-natured, curteous, supportive, and that I remain calm in intense situations. I scored in the 1st percentile for neuroticism for this test. My other result contradicted this a bit but I feel the Big Five was much more accurate on that category. I feel very low anxiety and understand pressure but do not allow it to control my emotions. I have a very good understanding of my emotions and who I am and this test confirmed that. For the 16 Personalities test, I was given "The Campaigner" as my personality (The Campaigner). My only disagreement with this result was that it says the personality's weaknesses are getting stressed out easily and are highly emotional. Like any 20 year old female, I certainly have emotions. However I would not consider myself "highly" emotional. I understand my feelings and feel I control and express them well. It also says that one of my weaknesses is being independent to a fault. I found this to be very spot on. I had my first interview for a summer internship today and one of the first things I told my interviewer about is that I consider myself highly independent and have often been told by others that they also see this. I have been fortunate enough to grow up with a lot of support and my parents have allowed me to develop my own sense of self. I am very confident and comfortable with who I am. My strengths for this personality told me I am energetic, observant, curious, have excellent communication, and know how to relax. When looking through the career paths section, it mentions a strong ability to network and match communication styles while exploring new challenges. This trait will be helpful for my professional career. I found it humorous that my personality would not do well in the military as many of our mentors have a background in. I found the most important part of the description to be this:
"And while Thinking types may be better at applying logic to systems and machines, people with the Campaigner personality type are able to apply that same logic to human interactions and networks, using their exceptional social perception to find out what makes people tick. This lends Campaigners a solid foothold in any human science or service, from psychology, counseling and teaching to politics, diplomacy and detective work. All of these fields have another important similarity: they are in constant development, shifting, presenting new angles and new approaches. It’s simply not possible to be good in these fields and content with the way things are, and this is where Campaigners truly shine."
This affirmed to me that HMP does work well with who I am as a person. I also took a brief look at the "Administrator" personality and found my results were very similar to that of an administrator. HMP could take me many places and I am curious to find which path I will go down but if I enjoyed gambling I would put my money on Health Administration. My last semester everything really started to come together for me academically. This class is a tremendous opportunity that I feel lucky to be a part of. It will provide me the opportunity to grow and prepare myself for my summer internship. Overall with personality testing, I think its better to have a sense of who you are and be confident in that. My results certainly were accurate for the most part but I feel I could have written a long description of who I am. They are a great way to affirm what you already know to be true about yourself.

4 comments:

  1. We have the same MBTI type - ENFP.

    I've often heard people say that the optimal military type is ESTJ, or maybe ENTJ. I've found it takes all types to make an organizaiton work well - even in the military.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depending on what stage of life and experience you’re in, your personality scores may change. It will be interesting to see if you score similarly in say, three years. What’s key here, and vitally important in the business world, is to understand your personality strengths and weaknesses and how those may or may not affect your productivity and work environment-to include those working for and with you. It seems you have a relatively firm grasp on your individual strengths and weaknesses, as well as an understanding of your own emotional intelligence.
    Fascinating that Dr. Bonica mentions ENTJ/ESTJ traits as suited for the military; those are the personality types I have been labeled with depending on when I take the test. I agree wholeheartedly though with his point- multidisciplinary teams and organizational structures are where you get the payoff- not just in productivity but in personal/job satisfaction as well.
    Some food for thought on the HPM/Healthcare Administrator trajectory: How comfortable are you being a generalist and a decision-maker in a service oriented career field?
    -Katie LoFranco

    ReplyDelete